Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Whole Half - Week 7

I had kinda hoped that by this point in my training I would be wanting to run a lot more than I am. I at least thought that by this point my will power wouldn't be throwing a 3-year-old-esque tantrum, flailing on the floor saying, "I don't want to, I don't want to!" Sometimes I wonder at the sanity of someone who is forcing herself to continually do something she doesn't have to do and doesn't enjoy doing. But that's not entirely accurate. I do enjoy running. I just don't enjoy starting to run. The act itself is totally fine, although I wish I had a running buddy to keep me company. It's just Newton's First Stupid Law of Motion. I'm at rest and I tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. I worry that one day that external force won't be around. I'm not sure what I'll do on that day. Let's hope it never comes.

I didn't work out much at all this week. I ran on Tuesday, but my Thursday short run was canceled so I could work at Shop Good to relieve a very very tired Justin and Audrey. My cross training days were pushed aside for other various reasons, including accompanying my friend Kim and her family to see The Music Man at Rose State College. So it was a fun week, but not very good discipline-wise. Nevertheless, my feet hit the pavement at around 2:30 this afternoon for my weekly long run (five miles again). Here are some things I noticed on my run today:

Weeping Willows: When I was a child, our neighbor had a weeping willow and I always thought it was one of the most beautiful trees, so big and full. The branches arch high up into the air and then fall all the way down to the ground. You can walk through the branches and feel as though you're in a magic forest. There are several of these majestic trees around my neighborhood, and each one fills me with some sort of reverent awe. every time I run past it.

Red Jeep Guy: I don't know who Red Jeep Guy is, and I'm not sure he knows who I am either, but every time I run, he's out and about in his red jeep, and he always smiles and waves. Thank you, Red Jeep Guy. Your small, sweet gesture encourages me more than you'll know. And if, by some chance, you're single, call me! Honestly, I don't know if Red Jeep Guy is good looking or not, because the glare from the windshield prevents me from seeing the bone structure of his face, but I know that he's a nice guy and he has a red jeep. Maybe my standards are lowering, but I think there could be something there. Come on, Red Jeep Guy, don't you want to wake up to this every morning?



And the last thing I noticed today: If you're running down a narrow street and a car is coming in your direction and you're thinking about being polite and running to the sidewalk to give the car room on the road, wait until a driveway or something. Don't cut through the grass. Especially after a full day of rain. Squishy shoes and socks are not enjoyable. In fact, they're pretty much the opposite of enjoyable.

There are two weeks left until Christmas vacation. I anticipate that these two weeks will be quite stressful, filled with work, exasperation and long nights. Maybe running more can help relieve that stress. Maybe. Maybe I should bake some cookies too. Definitely maybe. Have a great week, everyone! Enjoy the Advent season!

No comments: