Monday, November 28, 2011

The Whole Half - Week 6 - Clammy Hands, Heart Racing, Weak in the Knees: Is it Love or a Good Run?

Wow, six weeks in? It's hard to believe I've been training for this race for six weeks already. I'm definitely feeling stronger and more in shape than I was six weeks ago. That's a good thing, because I was pretty dang far from in shape six weeks ago!

Thanksgiving threw a little kink in my workout routine this week (because I allowed it to. I am not one of those whiny people who pretends that I have no control over things. I just wanted an excuse to slack a little and Thanksgiving was a perfect excuse!). I ran three miles on Tuesday and one mile on Thursday (it was supposed to be three, but I just ran a super fast one and called it even). I didn't do any cross training any other days. The only other working out I did was my long run on Sunday. That one is pretty much non-negotiable. I moved from four miles up to five this week and wasn't sure I'd be ready to do five, since I slacked off for the rest of the week. Fortunately, I pulled off five just fine.

When I woke up Sunday morning it was about 35 degrees and crazy windy. I waited until 2:00 in the afternoon when it was 45 degrees and crazy windy. The good thing about running on a cold day is it's usually not that cold when you finish your run. The gloves ended up being too warm at the end of the run but I kept them on anyway. Nothing outstanding to speak of other than that awesomely amazing Thanksgiving dinner that I had!

I spent Thanksgiving day with my friends in the city. We decided that four of us would get together and celebrate instead of going back to see our respective families. I showed up at 11:00 in the morning and we spent the first two hours making appetizers. I brought over snickerdoodle cookies and candied pecans and we also made deviled eggs and stuffed mushrooms with a spinach artichoke dip. DIVINE!!! Then we sat and watched football for an hour or so before we decided to make dinner. I made roasted acorn squash with a quinoa stuffing (SO AMAZING!) and asparagus, Logan made mashed potatoes and some sort of meat stuff, Audrey made chicken wings and gluten free focaccia, and Justin made this awesome cranberry sauce/whipped cream/graham cracker concoction. We spent the meal tasting everyone's dishes and commenting on how amazing it all was. Everything was so flavorful and delicious, and we weren't stressed at all, which is the best part! Holidays should not be stressful, people. But they always are. That is a shame. A crying shame. Anyway, we ate so much that we didn't eat anything else for the rest of the day.  It. Was. Awesome. Looking forward to another great week!
Yeah, we had this. And you should be jealous.

No comments: