Monday, December 12, 2011

The Whole Half - Week 8

We all have those weeks. You know, the weeks when everybody drives you crazy, life is about two steps away from unbearable, and you just want to throw in the towel. That was last week. The bummer about being a teacher is that the Christmas season just isn't as enjoyable as it could be. I love Christmas, but in the educational world, we work ourselves into a major frenzy right before Christmas. Final exams, fundraising drives and students desperately begging for extra credit drive me crazy! So consequently, I didn't do anything Monday through Saturday to train. No cross training, no dancing, no interval running. But at least I made it out on Sunday!

I had a friend offer to run with me on Sunday. I usually run by myself, which is fine but often boring. So I took him up on the offer and we set off on our 6 mile adventure. I haven't known this friend for long, so we had plenty to talk about, getting to know each other. We had even more to talk about when the sleet came, about 10 minutes into our run! It was cold and wet an miserable outside, and we both agreed that we probably wouldn't have run if we hadn't made plans to run with each other (oh the joys of accountability!). But we stuck it out for the entire 6 miles (actually a little bit more because my watch didn't log the first 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile), which just so happens to be the furthest I've ever run. After my 6-mile repeat next week, I'll do my first ever 7 mile run on Christmas (I'm pretty sure that the chances of me running 7 miles on Christmas Day are about as good as the chances of me getting a Ferrari for Christmas).
So here are the pros and cons to running with someone:
CONS:
  • I run out of breath much easier - I usually have a hard time with my breath anyway, carrying on a conversation make it more difficult (I know, I know, you're supposed to be able to carry on a conversation. Don't preach at me.)
  • Other people are let in on your gross habits - Like constant spitting. I can't help it, I just spit a lot
PROS:
  • Someone to distract you - Conversation of any sort is a great distraction when your legs want to fall off and all you want to do is throw yourself down on the ground and quit.
  • Someone to encourage you - As you discuss your own personal achievements you also get to hear the stories of someone else's journey to fitness. It's awesome to know that other people have struggled like you and understand what you've been through.
  • Accountability -  Like I said before, I never would have run at all on that chilly, windy, sleety day if it hadn't been for my running partner.
All in all, I'd highly recommend finding a running buddy. Life is much more interesting when shared with someone else, and the same goes for running. No man is an island, right? Right. One more full week of school left. I can handle this! Have a great week, folks!


No comments: