Friday, November 25, 2011

Fun With Cross Training

I haven't always been the breathtakingly confident woman you see standing before you today. When I was but a wee lass of 25, I was ridiculously insecure about my looks. My insecurities led me to steer clear of gyms. I wanted to be thin, but was terrified to set foot in a building where people would inevitably judge me for being weak, slow, and unfit. In a brief moment of bravery, I bought a gym membership. There were no fat people at that gym, which was extraordinarily depressing. I went a handful of times, but felt like I was being constantly laughed at. Neurotic? Maybe. But that's a conversation for the couch.

In an effort to make myself presentable for the gym and introduce some sort of workout routine into my life, I became the owner of many, many workout DVDs. I had Jillian Michaels' 30 Minute Shred, Tae Bo, Pilates, Yoga, and a slew of dance DVDs. I used a few sporadically, but never committed to any routine. Eventually I came to the realization that most people in gyms are far too focused on themselves (either because they are completely self absorbed or because they are in just as much pain as I am) to judge what I am or am not doing on the treadmill or with the weight machines. It was liberating, and I'm very glad I found freedom from the fear of constant embarrassment.

I still have those DVDs, and they have come in handy the past few weeks. My half-marathon training schedule (found at halhigdon.com) has two days of cross-training built in. I used Mr. Higdon's 10k training schedule last year, and went to the gym to use the stationary bike on cross-training days. But it's cold outside, and there are many days when I get home from work that I just don't want to go to the gym. Then I remembered the dance workouts.

Great way to spice up a workout!
I am not one of those girls who enjoys dancing. I feel silly and uncoordinated when I try to make my hands, feet and hips move in an appealing manner. But at home, there's no one to feel silly for, and dancing is a great workout! I get to develop strength in my arms, legs and core without endless repetitions with my hand weights. I have a DVD called Bollywood Booty that is super fun, and another two called 10 minute Dance Solutions (one is Latin dance, one doesn't have a genre). Do I feel silly while I'm doing them? You betcha. But that's what mini blinds are for. No one ever has to know how awkward my cross training days are. And that in itself is liberating. What fun and creative ways have you found to workout? I'd love to hear others' ideas.

No comments: