Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Love of Running Rediscovered

Remember when I used to run? I wrote a lot in those days. I really grew to love running, and I kind of miss it. I still run on and off, but this crazy oppressive heat has all but drained the motivation to not be fat right out of me. Seriously, I get up at 7:00 in the morning and it's already 85 degrees! There's no such thing as a refreshing jog in the seventh circle of hell. It doesn't exist. To give me yet another reason not to run, I don't have a goal in mind. When I was running last year, I was always training for a race or trying to lose weight. Now I'm just running because... what? Because I love it? Sadly, my love for running is comparable to the love that has held together all my past relationships. It fills the time on the good days but checks out when one of us gets bored (Don't take this personally, running. It's me, not you. We just want different things. I want to be fat and lazy and you want me to live a long, healthy life).

Today, however, my interest in running was renewed. As I mentioned before, I've taken a few extra jobs this summer, one of which was to do the books for The Spero Project, a really great non-profit I've worked with on and off over the last two years. Today, Spero was one of the charities that benefitted from The Dirty 30 Race, in my opinion one of the most awesomest races on the face of the planet. This 5k race included a climbing wall, 3 mud pits, obstacles galore, live music, free beer, awesome food and 105 degree heat. People from all over came in their crazy costumes to do this extreme obstacle course.

As a volunteer, my job consisted of sitting in the shade (and still sweating like Jon Gosselin at a Promise Keeper's rally) and talking to people about The Spero Project. I also helped out at a station where people donated their muddy shoes. We shipped the shoes off to a company that cleans the shoes and sends them overseas to people who need shoes. I really enjoy volunteering at events. I am much less afraid of people when I have a job to do.

Anyway, all this to say that the Dirty 30 Race looked awesome and I found myself walking around the property wondering if anyone would notice an unregistered runner in khakis and flip flops. Next year I'm all over it. And I'd love for lots of my friends to join me! Start training now, friends...

Look for pictures on their Facebook page. I was going to post some of them but I thought it increased my creepy factor by too many points...

No comments: